[OSRS-PROJ] Re: Maidenhead grids fair game for proj?

Dan Jacobson jidanni at dman.ddts.net
Wed Mar 5 14:28:46 EST 2003

F> Dan Jacobson wrote:
>> Say, are the Maidenhead ham radio grids fair game for a wishlist item
>> for proj? http://www.arrl.org/files/contests/ln9404.pdf
>> Yes, there are lots of programs already...

F> Dan,

F> Am I correct in stating that the maidenhead grid system just divides the
F> earth into 1x2 degree grid squares, but is not a complete coordinate
F> system (or least not a detailed one) in itself?   Just a way of assigning

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/coordsys/coordsys.html#MAIDEN
doesn't mention that all one need to do is just keep adding pairs to
the back to get all the precision one needs.

F> names to chunks of the sperehical (lat/long) coordinate system?  If so,

Yes, just a different way of saying one's lat/long, it seems.

F> I don't see that it fits smoothly into PROJ.4 but you are welcome to take
F> your suggestion to the list and see what others say.

OK, List, what about it.  The main thing that spurred me on was that
proj wouldn't set an arbitrary limit of 6 characters, e.g. I live in
PL04KE, when outputting, like so many programs do, e.g. qgrid (which
is up for adoption) on debian.

Naturally, I don't have any burning need in mind, other than adding
another method to make sure the Martians can find me to
http://jidanni.org/location/coordinates_en.html