[OSRS-PROJ] Future Directions for PROJ.4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 30 11:24:05 EST 2003

Folks,

We are all pleased to see Gerald actively working on the projections code
in PROJ.4 again; however, as he feel strongly about keeping projections code
separate from some of the other "coordinate systems" related services he has
released a stripped down version of PROJ that just does projections.

It is my intention, as time permits, to prepare a new PROJ 4.5.x release based
on Geralds' projections library.  Due to Geralds' concerns about keeping
things distinct this will involve some dislocations to applications.  Some
entry points, and include files will change names.

I don't have a schedule for this work being completed.  It may take a several
months.  In the meantime I plan to release a 4.4.7 release with NTv2 support
in a day or two and another release or two of the 4.4.x series may take
place before the new generation is available.