[OSRS-PROJ] Proj.4 vs Geotrans

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Sun Mar 30 14:35:48 EST 2003

Gerald -

I do not think your responses have really been very focused on the
question put by Jesus.  I don't agree that your opinions of software
commenting and coding style are really intended to help answer him, and
help him to make a good decision about what software tools to use.  He
can see the code quite easily and he can develop his own opinions about
whether he finds the coding, commenting, and variable naming conventions
helpful or unhelpful.

Continuing to spout opinions that basically say "that's the way I do it,
and I've been doing it for a long time, and I have to say I really think
it's the right way to do things" adds nothing.  I *might* be interested
in hearing from the people who have picked up your code over the last 44
years and had to work on it, but even that's not relevant to this
discussion.

If you are interested in helping to answer Jesus' question, it would
great if you could offer comments on the various features and benefits
of PROJ.  You don't seem to be very familiar with GeoTrans - you said so
yourself - so you might simply note that point and leave it to others
who might know it better, rather than "drag[ging] it down", as you put
it, and opining on it.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com