[OSRS-PROJ] Datums supported by Proj.4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 31 15:14:41 EST 2003

Jesus Angel del Pozo wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam(warmerdam at pobox.com)@31.03.2003 13:49:50 -0500:
>
>>I like to this of these more as examples than anything just now.  Since I
>>don't have an obvious naming system to apply, and because for many datums
>>folks have different wgs84 shift parameters they like to use depending on
>>their area of work and so forth, I have avoided populating a large list
>>of datums.  You can provide you own datum definition in a definition by
>>supplying the +towgs84= parameter yourself (and the ellipsoid def).
>

> Do you know if there are some list ready to use with Proj.4?
> I have downloaded the EPSG database (Access) but maybe somebody already have
> a list of datums ready to download :-)

Jesus,

The proj/nad/epsg file contains definitions for most/all 2D projected and
geographic coordinate systems.  Some do not have towgs84 parameters either
because I could not deduce one from the EPSG database, or because it offered
more than one so I couldn't be sure which was "best".

You can use the epsg file with the +init mechanism. For instance, the
following "cs2cs" commandline would be for converting from EPSG 27700 (British
National Grid) to WGS84 lat/long.

eg.
cs2cs +init=epsg:27700 +to +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84