[OSRS-PROJ] Re: On the Ellipsoidal Transverse Mercator

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 01:44:16 EDT 2003

Dear Mr. Engsager:

It is unfortunate we were unable to see you in Durban at the ICA conference.

Thank you for the note below, which I read with great interest. I had not
heard of this method before. I find that the graticules for the first two images
generally match my own images of the complete ellipsoidal transverse Mercator.
However, I also find that the spacing of the parallels in the images you
supply does not match perfectly well all along the meridians: if they match at
mid-latitudes, then they are too close to the pole at upper   and lower
latitudes. If the problem were due to pixels that are not quite square on your monitor
or mine, then I would expect the problem to occur along only one axis.
Instead, it occurs in every direction. I tried various values for the ellipse's
eccentricity but was unable to compensate for the discrepancy. Hence I must
conclude that there is some other source of error; possibly in the implementation of
the transformation or in the formulation.

We should compare calculated coordinates. Please contact me directly if you
are able to spend a little time on this.

Regards,
daan Strebe