[OSRS-PROJ] newbie; PROJ.4 for raster data?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 09:15:35 EDT 2003

Nando Foppa wrote:
> Hello outhere,
>
> I have very simple question which I couldn't answer by myself for sure,
> even when reading the manuals...
>
> Is't possible and recommendable to use PROJ.4 for reprojection of
> satellite (raster) data from geographic (WGS84) to swiss projection.
> What about resampling of the pixel values? Or is PROJ.4 specially used
> for reprojection of vector data?
>
> Thanks a lot for an answer of this simple but for me important question!

Nando,

PROJ.4 just transforms coordinates, and has no knowledge of "vectors" or
"rasters" though there are packages built on PROJ.4 for doing both.  For
raster warping based on PROJ.4 you could use GDAL.

For example the following would warp a GeoTIFF file in some appropriate
input coordinate system (defined in the file) to UTM 11.

   gdalwarptest -t_srs '+proj=utm +zone=11 +datum=WGS84' in.tif out.tif

GDAL can be found at:

  http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/