[OSRS-PROJ] newbie; PROJ.4 for raster data?

Nando Foppa foppa at giub.unibe.ch
Thu Sep 11 12:36:24 EDT 2003

Hello Frank (and all others)

Thanks a lot for your promising advice. Before I get started I would like to
describe  my problem more precise to see if I really could use GDAL effectually:
(I 'm getting through the manuals but I could not answer my questions by myself
for sure):
I have an er-mapper file (we are not working with ERMapper-software), which is a
binary file (BIL) and a header file (see below).
The binary file is an 8-bit raster file (AVHRR satellite data generated product).
We work in an operational way without any human intervention using Linux Redhat.
I would like to reproject all our files from geographic wgs84 lat/long to the
swiss projection.
How realistic is that for using GDAL? What would be the biggest problems?

Thank you very much for any help!!!
Cheers, Nando

DatasetHeader Begin
 Version = "6.0"
 Description = "N16_02dec01_1159_..."
 DataSetType = ERStorage
 DataType = Raster
 ByteOrder = LSBFirst
 CoordinateSpace Begin
  Datum  = "WGS84"
  Projection = "GEODETIC"
  CoordinateType = LL
  Units  = "natural"
  Rotation = 0:0:0.0
 CoordinateSpace End
 RasterInfo Begin
  CellType = Unsigned8BitInteger
  NullCellValue = 0.000000
  CellInfo Begin
   Xdimension = 0.01000000
   Ydimension = 0.00700000
  CellInfo End
  NrOfLines = 1357
  NrOfCellsPerLine = 1700
  RegistrationCoord Begin
   Latitude = 50.0000
   Longitude = 0.00000
  RegistrationCoord End
  RegistrationCellX  = 0.5
  RegistrationCellY  = 0.5
  NrOfBands = 1
  BandId Begin
   Value = "channel        1, "
  BandId End
 RasterInfo End
DatasetHeader End

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Nando Foppa wrote:
> > Hello outhere,
> >
> > I have very simple question which I couldn't answer by myself for sure,
> > even when reading the manuals...
> >
> > Is't possible and recommendable to use PROJ.4 for reprojection of
> > satellite (raster) data from geographic (WGS84) to swiss projection.
> > What about resampling of the pixel values? Or is PROJ.4 specially used
> > for reprojection of vector data?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for an answer of this simple but for me important question!
>
> Nando,
>
> PROJ.4 just transforms coordinates, and has no knowledge of "vectors" or
> "rasters" though there are packages built on PROJ.4 for doing both.  For
> raster warping based on PROJ.4 you could use GDAL.
>
> For example the following would warp a GeoTIFF file in some appropriate
> input coordinate system (defined in the file) to UTM 11.
>
>    gdalwarptest -t_srs '+proj=utm +zone=11 +datum=WGS84' in.tif out.tif
>
> GDAL can be found at:
>
>   http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> and other information.

  Nando Foppa   -   Remote Sensing Research Group

  Department of Geography

  University of Bern           Tel: +41 (0) 31 631 8020
  Hallerstr. 12                Fax: +41 (0) 31 631 8511
  CH - 3012 Bern               Mail: foppa at giub.unibe.ch
  Switzerland                  http://www.giub.unibe.ch/remsen