[Proj] What proj library version is best?

Craig Bruce csbruce at cubewerx.com
Tue Jul 6 14:16:44 EDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> It is my intention at some point to rip out all of the PROJ.4 core
> that I am using and use Gerald's work instead.  However, this is a
> substantial job, and I'm not exactly sure when I will get to it.

But having other people volunteer you for all sorts of new work is what
open-source software is all about! :-)

> There are also questions about what degree of backward compatibility
> with older versions of PROJ.4 (4.4.x) will be achieved in this move.
> Whether I move to a whole new API or what.

You can create a new and independent interface and let the old extended-
PROJ library wither on the vine.  People can upgrade to the new interface
at the time they wish.

Dr. Craig S. Bruce        | Ph 819-771-8303 x205 |             CubeWerx Inc.
Senior Software Developer |   Fax 819-771-8388   |  Gatineau, Québec, Canada
csbruce at cubewerx.com      |  http://csbruce.com/ |  http://www.cubewerx.com/