[Proj] old german topo

John Smart john.smart at caris.com
Mon Jul 19 19:01:46 EDT 2004

Maciek

Here are the results of a couple of test runs of the proj program, using
Gauss-Krueger projection and Bessel ellipsoid, zone 5:

C:\proj\bin>proj -I +proj=tmerc +ellps=bessel +lat_0=0 +lon_0=15 +k=1
+x_0=5500000 +y_0=0
5489000 5662000
14d50'34.664"E  51d5'39.257"N

C:\proj\bin>proj +proj=tmerc +ellps=bessel +lat_0=0 +lon_0=15 +k=1
+x_0=5500000 +y_0=0
14d50' 51d6'
5488326.98      5662642.43

Looks like pretty reasonable correspondence to what's on your map.
Gauss-Krueger zone 5, central meridian 15 east, false easting 5500000, scale
factor = 1.

The longitudes are östlich von Greenwich (öL v Greenwich).

The Nadelabweichung note isn't relevant; it's just a note about magnetic
declination (difference between grid north and magnetic north, as of 1936!)

See if that works for you.
John