[OSRS-PROJ] Roussilhe Oblique Stereographic

werchowyna at pf.pl werchowyna at pf.pl
Mon Mar 15 09:45:29 EST 2004

hello Everyone

Thanks to you Gerald, Markus and Frank for your explanations on the "proj"
stuff in Grass.

Despite of it I stiill don't know how to apply the desired projection into
Grass 5.03.
Just in case here go the details once more:
name: in Poland it's called Roussilhe or Quasi-Stereographic
other names I saw: Roussilhe Oblique Stereographic
described as: azimuthal, oblique, conformal

parameters for one of the total 4 zones for Poland in this projection
("System 1965"):
lat_0=50d37'30
lon_0=21d5'
x_0=5467000
y_0=4637000
k_0=0.9998
ellipsoid: Krassovsky, Pulkovo 1942 datum modified for Poland

How to apply this projection in Grass 5.03?
As far as I understood it is not possible with the old PROJ4 from USGS
included in source code of Grass 5.03?
Could the problem be solved if I compiled the Grass source with the fresh
external PROJ4 from remotesensing.org? Is there a projection that fits the
one I need included?

Something propably stupid but let me know what you think:
I suppose the "stere" projection is the closest match for Roussilhe. But the
"stere" projection in "regular" Grass 5.03 doesn't ask for x_0 and y_0 which
Roussilhe demands. This "stere" also asks for the "latitude of true scale"
while the Roussilhe definition doesn't provide such parameter.
So I MANUALLY made a PROJ_INFO like the one below. Would it work if I put it
into my mapset (Grass 5.03 installed from an rpm provided by Mandrake on
Mandrake 9.2)? Or is it completely rubbish?

name: Stereographic
datum:
dx: 23.740000
dy: -123.830000