[Proj] 4.4.9 libtool version

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 8 10:47:31 EST 2004

Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>>I just downloaded proj 4.4.9 to build it for Debian, and I should let you
>>know that your configure file still won't support the 'mipsel'
>>architecture.  It would be be if you updated your version of libtool for
>>the next release (so I'll have less patching to do :-).
>>
>>For example, see:
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/188684
>> http://bugs.debian.org/260683
>>
>>for times I had to handle this.
>

> Now that I re-read my email, let me clarify something...
>
> I'm not really complaining for the little amount of work I have to do,
> since all I did was to run `autoreconf --force' to fix this.  It's
> mainly so that a wider audience can download and compile proj without
> having to figure this out for themselves.

Peter,

Could you be specific about what files I am replacing and what version
of the various tools I need to use to accomplish this?  I suffered several
hours of misery trying to get PROJ.4 building working again for 4.4.9 after
trying to update the to a newer version of libtool (I think).  Apparently
that effort was wasted, or incomplete.  Before going into that breach one
more time, I would like to know I would be using an appropriate set of tool
versions and have a better understanding of what problem it is I am trying
to solve.

I realize it is rather unprogressive of me, but at times I remember the old
days fondly.  In the old days we would download a package and just edit the
makefile, tweaking compiler names, and options a bit before building.

Now I have to run a 700K configure script and use another 200K libtool script
to build PROJ and I have little hope of figuring out problems when things go
wrong.  PROJ is not a tiny package, yet the configure script is larger than
all the source code for the package (450K).