[Proj] FW: SCAR Antarctic PS projection issue in proj

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Tue Dec 6 04:41:37 EST 2005

On wto, 2005-12-06 at 01:51 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Oscar van Vlijmen <ovv at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> >
> > In conclusion, my theory is that the projection method is unambiguously
> > clear, but that either "Polar Stereographic (variant B)" is not supported by
> > PROJ.4 or that it was somehow not possible to construct relevant PROJ.4
> > arguments for any PROJ.4 method (stere perhaps) on the fly.
>
> Oscar,
>
> With support from Norman Vine on IRC, I have added a
> translation of projection method 9829.
>
> The script used to produce the PROJ.4 epsg definition file
> now reports the following for EPSG:3031:
>
> $ python epsg_tr.py -proj4 3031 3031
> # WGS 84 / Antarctic Polar Stereographic
> <3031> +proj=stere +lat_0=-90 +lat_ts=-71 +lon_0=0 +k=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS
> 84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs  <>
>
> This should appear in the next full PROJ.4 release at which point I
> will regenerate the epsg files.

Frank,

OT the SCAR, but regarding EPSG codes - _soon_ corrections and updates
for Polish coordinate systems will arrive EPSG database. I'm currently
talking to an EPSG represenatative regarding this. There is only one
iisue left do decide about for us and by the end of December a they will
make their final decissions. I'm writing this to ask whether new PROJ.4
realease can wait for these corrections to be included or if you are
going to release erlier.

It's quite an issue for Poles. Eg. there was a serious error in code
2171 so it cannot be used directly. And prefer love using codes instead
of dozens of parameters, this simlpifies using and teaching PROJ.4.
Besides, there will be some cleanup in names, new systems added
(GUGIK-80, missing System 1942 zones) and _maybe_ EPSG will settle for
using precise, official GUGiK Krassovsky->WGS84 transformation instead
of the rounded down version, currently present in EPSG database.

For these precise paramemeters refer to instruction G-2, p. 29, bottom,
currently available at
http://www.google.pl/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.gislab.ar.wroc.pl/server.ftp%3FFileID%3D1521%26View%3Dtrue%26GISLabSessionID%3D977af8cbcc7261e26f855e64241d5129&e=42

The rounded down version is present in current epsg 2171-2174.

Maciek