[Proj] FW: SCAR Antarctic PS projection issue in proj

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 13:41:06 EST 2005

On 12/6/05, Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> OT the SCAR, but regarding EPSG codes - _soon_ corrections and updates
> for Polish coordinate systems will arrive EPSG database. I'm currently
> talking to an EPSG represenatative regarding this. There is only one
> iisue left do decide about for us and by the end of December a they will
> make their final decissions. I'm writing this to ask whether new PROJ.4
> realease can wait for these corrections to be included or if you are
> going to release erlier.
>
> It's quite an issue for Poles. Eg. there was a serious error in code
> 2171 so it cannot be used directly. And prefer love using codes instead
> of dozens of parameters, this simlpifies using and teaching PROJ.4.
> Besides, there will be some cleanup in names, new systems added
> (GUGIK-80, missing System 1942 zones) and _maybe_ EPSG will settle for
> using precise, official GUGiK Krassovsky->WGS84 transformation instead
> of the rounded down version, currently present in EPSG database.
>
> For these precise paramemeters refer to instruction G-2, p. 29, bottom,
> currently available at
> http://www.google.pl/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.gislab.ar.wroc.pl/server.ftp%3FFileID%3D1521%26View%3Dtrue%26GISLabSessionID%3D977af8cbcc7261e26f855e64241d5129&e=42
>
> The rounded down version is present in current epsg 2171-2174.

Maciek,

If I knew a new release of the EPSG database were
arriving soon, I would be willing to hold off a bit on a
PROJ.4 epsg file update.  In reality, I have intended
to do an update for some time, and have put it off, so
when I do it is more determined by how much pressure
I get to get off my duff.