[Proj] New release of libproj4

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Sat Feb 5 13:48:21 EST 2005

In the testing of the PEI data I could demonstrate that libproj4 could
do
micron round-trip (or better) but I am usually faced with the problem
that
the test data I get is only to 10mm.  In this case, the xy was 1mm and
the
geographic to 0.0001".  Right on the edge of demonstrating precise
computation.

Unfortunately, as Snyder pointed out to me one time (and I agree),
round trip does not prove the correctness of the code nor algorithm.
However, I do use it as an indicator that I am on the right track when
developing a projection.

As an aside, when using lproj to prove the round-trip ability of a
projection, pipe the forward output to the inverse in binary so as to
avoid formatting issues.  For example:

lproj $CTL test.dat -o |  lproj $CTL -I -i -W8

where test.dat contains geographic points.  Options -o and -i do
binary output and input respectively and -W8 gives 8 fractional
digits to the seconds of output.  $CTL contain projection +opt control.