[Proj] Question about authorship

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 00:43:21 EST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:28:11 -0500, Gerald Evenden
<gerald.evenden at verizon.net> wrote:
> On an idle evening I examined the contents of the web site
>
> http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/
>
> and had a difficult time deciphering some descriptions as well as
> feeling that some are either very wrong or, at least, very peculiar.
> Probably the best example is Mercator (1sp 2sp).  Also could not
> figure out why the Larborde Oblique is not recognized as having
> its own math and not a version of Hotine.  Etc., etc.
>
> PROJ.4 as well as libproj4 has Laborde as given by given to me
> by Snyder many years ago.
>
> The list goes on and on.
>
> Is this an active source of information?

Gerald,

The "notes" sections are mostly pulled from the EPSG
database, which I believe we both agree is not really
a great source of detailed information on projections.
I am happy to have updates to the information, but the
main role of the pages is to indicate how a variety of
reasonably common projections are described in different
environments (EPSG, GeoTIFF, PROJ.4 and OGC WKT).