[Proj] Question about authorship

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 09:33:47 EST 2005

When mentioning EPSG, I presume we're talking about the #7 manual?

Just discussing Mercator I have problems with terms like "natural
origin."
If there is a "natural origin" for Mercator it is the equator.  The
origin can
be artificially shifted to any latitude with +lat_0.  This should not
be confused with
+lat_ts= which a method of referring to "latitude of true scale."
+lat_ts
assumes that the user expects the scale (h=k) is unity at that latitude.
+lat_ts is used as an alternative to +k_0 which refers to the scale
at the equator.  +k_0 is primarily uses where +lat_ts is not appropriate
such as Transverse Mercator.  I think it is inappropriate to combine
specifying +lat_ts and +k_0 to be used simultaneously.

In Mercator (1SP) the description interprets Mercator as a limiting
condition for Lambert Conformal Conic.  In theory true but often
following such a development often to math that falls apart.
Mercator is usually developed on its base definition and not a
limiting condition for a cone.

What really caught my eye with this stuff is the two entries for
Mercator: (1SP) and (2SP).  C'mon.

Lastly, Mercator is dismissed a a projection.  This may be true with
regard to grid systems but certainly not true for navigational purposed.
Because of it properties it is still widely used for navigation charts

I can obviously refer to EPSG #7 and I am aware of PROJ.4 usage but I
am handicapped with details of GeoTIFF and others.
.