[Proj] Question about authorship

Gerald Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Sat Mar 5 00:08:15 EST 2005

Excellent recounting of the EPSG material and certainly explains why I
have so
much trouble with it.

My preferred approach to securing information on various grid systems
is to
search out information form the governmental bodies involved.  The Swiss
material is an excellent example where summary of projections and grid
systems is available in government pamphlets.  I recently obtained
excellent material from New Brunswick  where they did a very good
workup of the Double Stereographic  which libproj4 emulates with
sterea).

Incidentally, the Laborde material that Snyder sent me was attributed to
Mugnier.  ;-)

My main experience with EPSG is with the #7 supplement as I find the
data base too much of a pain to work with and at the time I did work
with
it I didn't have a suitable script to get it into MySQL or Postgress.
But #7
never built any confidence with me as I detected someone struggling
with the concepts of what was being developed.  I usually get more help
from web searches.  EPSG is a source of last resort.

A case I like to make are the Krovak, Swiss and Sterea projections are
easy to set up once the concept of the double projection is developed.
In libproj4 the code sections for each of these projections consists of
only a few lines of code which in turn rely upon a single routine for
conversion to/from the ellipsoid-sphere and an axis translation
procedure.
Maybe the 800lb. gorilla has this approach in their system but I do not
see it elsewhere.

These projections are also demonstrative of Snyder being somewhat
parochial in his efforts as he never touched upon the general double
projection as used above in any of his material that I am aware of.

As for libproj4 being catholic: it is not but I am doing my best to
achieve some
modicum of success in that direction.

Lastly, I am always appreciative of any material related to projections
and
VERY appreciative of bug reports.

Another release is due later this month and, at last, an expanded
manual.