[Proj] Re: Mercator Problem

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Mon Oct 17 17:55:33 EDT 2005

Ron's proposal is perfectly sound on a spherical earth. Since the oblique
Mercator central line runs through the two points of interest, and since the
scale is constant and correct along that great circle, there's no need for
integration or scale factor corrections. Obviously it's more problematic on the
ellipsoid, given that none of the usual oblique formulations carry constant scale
along the transformed equator (and if I recall correctly, it's not possible
whilst retaining conformality), but even so, Hotine is close enough to constant
scale that it might suffice, depending on the accuracy needs and assuming the
two points are reasonably short of antipodal.

If other calculations that Ron mentions aren't needed then clearly Cliff's
suggestion is the way to go. Why go out on a... erm... tangent?

Regards,
daan Strebe