[Proj] Re: Mercator Problem

Ron Russell ron at russfam.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 14:10:25 EDT 2005

Daan, Clifford,

Of course, deep down, I knew that the scale varies along the central line of
an oblique Mercator projection and I suppose my suggestion was not
theoretically sound. I should also say that I get as much satisfaction as
anybody when I get the chance to use Vincenty!

Even Vincenty does not deal with antipodal points, however!

In my defence I would say that we were talking about points scaled off a
paper map!

In my days as a surveyor in the early 70s - do you remember Peter’s Tables
and Facit mechanical calculators? - we used to use the mean of the scale
factors at the end points of lines to reduce measured distances to the
projection, and for the very longest lines we sometimes used Simpson’s rule
(but I never remember it making a sensible difference). That was on at the
edge of UTM zones. In those days it was really important to be able compute
on the projection. I once computed a traverse using the Mid Latitude
formulae - it took me two days, and I got the wrong answer!

I bet the scale change on the central line of a Hotine Oblique Mercator
projection, even across California, could be treated the same way! Do you
have any figures?

Regards,

Ron Russell
Tel : 01823 270308 email : ron at russfam.freeserve.co.uk