[Proj] convert from LatLong to transverse mercator LUREF

Ulrich Leopold uleopold at science.uva.nl
Tue Oct 18 10:38:11 EDT 2005

Dear list,

I am new to the proj conversion tools and would appreciate very much if
someone could help me to solve my problem. I would like to convert geodetic
coordinates to a transverse mercator projection for Luxembourg.

I have the following coordinates:

Latitude: 49d34’17".60287N
Longitude: 5d55’50".69323E

And want to convert them into:

X (North) 70910.00
Y (East)  62935.00

I tried the following getting wrong results:

uleopold at azores:~> cs2cs -v +proj=latlong +to +proj=tmerc +units=m +ellps=intl
# ---- From Coordinate System ----
#Lat/long (Geodetic)
#
# +proj=latlong +ellps=WGS84
# ---- To Coordinate System ----
#Transverse Mercator
#       Cyl, Sph&Ell
# +proj=tmerc +units=m +ellps=intl
49d34'17".60287N 5d55'50".69323E
6370282.03      102889.65 -245.99

Could anybody tell me how to use cs2cs with all its options to receive the
worked out example above? Below is the information for the projection.

Cheers, Ulrich

This is the additional information for the projection:

1. National Datum Ellipsoid Parameters:

Semi-Major Axis  a (m) : 6378388 m
Semi-Minor Axis  b (m) : 6356911.946 m
Flattening 1/f : 1/297
Eccentricity e2 : 0.006768170197
Ellipsoid : HAYFORD INTERNATIONAL 1924
Fundamental point (Laplace-point): Habay-la-Neuve (Belgium)

2. Details of the Luxemburg Projection System:

Name : Projection Gauss Luxembourg
Generic Projection Type : Transverse Mercator

Projection Parameters :

Longitude of Central Meridian : 6° 10’ East of Greenwich
Central Meridian Scale Factor :  1
Longitude of Origin : 6° 10’ East of Greenwich
Latitude of Origin : 49° 50’ North of Equator

False Origin:
Position of False Easting :       80 000 m
Position of false Northing :	 100 000 m