[Proj] CSLTokenizeStringComplex/CSLCount/CSLDestroy

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 19 16:37:51 EST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> While the desire to remove all warnings from a compile are admirable it often
> ends up being impossible to achieve.

Agree, somewhat.  In our case we achieved it, until we tried
compiling with gcc-4.0.

> Last night and this morning while
> cleaning up the next release of libproj4 I turned on the "-Wall -pedantic"
> switches and scanned the 'make' output for 'warning's.  Out of the 150+ files
> constituting the library there are about 3 or 4 files that generate warnings.
> With the exception of the strerror_r problem, they are trivial and impractical
> to eliminate.

I tried "-pedantic" and it ended up showing quite a few problems in
several libraries we use (and we use a LOT of libraries in our
application).  I've since switched to "-O2 -pipe -W -Wall
-Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused-parameter -pthread",
but every once in a while I throw in "-pedantic" just to check the
main app's code.  As a general rule I don't use that flag, but I
might add it in the future if I can get rid of the added warnings
that ensue.

With the flags described I see only the few warnings I described
earlier with gcc-4.0, with a large multi-process/multi-threaded
application.  The fewer the warnings, the more professional the
application appears to those who compile it.