[Proj] Two questions about Proj

Andy Canfield andy.canfield at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:17:27 EST 2006

Actually I was meaning something different in my questions because I
didn't realize most folks use Proj4 from the command line. What I was
really meaning was how do I find an example of using it from C or C++
as a dynamic library or compiled source into my project? I need to
translate coordinates from Lat Lon NAD 83 to State Plan and Vice Versa
and I would rather not have to write it if Proj4 already supports
doing it.

The V&H question was because I used to work for AT&T and I still work
for the same company but our portion of AT&T was bought by another
company. If V&H wasn't supported by Proj4 I would be willing to add it
once I get familiar with the source and how to use it I could add that
and submit it. It's just I'm not familiar enough with Proj4 to know
how it would be used yet. I have written the code to translate Lat lon
to V&H and vice versa in Java and in C++ for two different projects
where I work so translating it into C or whatever Proj4 is written in
should be fairly straight forward. I'd like to get the translation out
in public and open source since it seems to be such a hard projection
to find tools for and the tools that do exist cost way to much for
what they do. Also I think it would go well with the Open Source
spirit that AT&T of old had with it's Bell Labs projects and all the
things it contributed to computing in general.

Oscar is correct we still use V&H to calculate distances between rate
centers for billing purposes on calls.

Andy