[Proj] Two questions about Proj

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Fri Jan 20 12:47:06 EST 2006

	..
> V&H seems to be in use even today.

Why it is, is incomprehensible to me.

> Originally used for calculating a 'billable' distance between telephone
> calling centers.

But my opinion aside, I understand less the code referenced.  It refers to
ellipsoid yet I cannot find any reference to eccentricity, flattening, etc.
or anything  aboout Clarke, WGS, etc..  It talks about transferring
coordinates from ellipsoid to sphere---conformal, authalic, ???  Is billing
*so accurate* that the ellipse must be accounted for?

What is/was the matter with the Two-Point Equidistant projection that has been
around for some time?

My opinion of this "projection" remains  unchanged.  It is a ad hoc
machination to solve a peculiar approach to a financial problem and not a
serious effort in geodesy, grid systems or general mapping needs.  I suggest
seeing if Quicken, or other bookkeeping software giants can develop an
appropriate plugin for this projection.
--
Jerry and the low riders:Daisy May and Joshua
"The being cannot be termed rational or virtuous,