[Proj] Re: Dozier's TM method---my summary

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Wed Jul 5 15:20:43 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 8:31 am, Oscar van Vlijmen wrote:
> What surprises me is that I gave an alternative twice, once in a posting on
> this list dated 2006-06-13, once in a private email dated 2006-06-23,
> including a web reference.
> It's about ACM TOMS algorithm 365 from H. Bach. Fortran code can be found
> at netlib.org and one can buy a copy of the peer reviewed TOMS article at
> ACM (acm.org).
> I am not happy with the method because it is horribly slow, but it is a
> very robust method, at least if one knows how to tweak its control
> parameters.

Not sure what you meant by slow but the example clocked in at 2ms real time
and did not show on the millisecond user/system clocks.

Sorta looks like a steepest descent routine with no analysis from derivatives
so it is likely to be sluggish.

So much for Dozier's idea of a speedy method.  ;-)

I stupidly missed all the control in the file so had to do about three whacks
at getting it to compile.  Once the junk was removed it went fine.

--
Jerry and the low-riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum"