[Proj] Re: Newbie Polar stereographic question

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Thu Jul 13 11:23:46 EDT 2006

I wonder, can all 3 variants of the EPSG (OGP) stereographic projections be
calculated with (lib)proj's stere?

EPSG coordinate operation method 9810:
Polar Stereographic (variant A)
For Projected Coordinate Reference System: WGS 84 / UPS North

EPSG coordinate operation method 9829:
Polar Stereographic (variant B)
For Projected Coordinate Reference System: WGS 84 / Australian Antarctic
Polar Stereographic

EPSG coordinate operation method 9830:
Polar Stereographic (variant C)
For Projected Coordinate Reference System: Petrels 1972 / Terre Adelie Polar
Stereographic

Especially variants B and C still puzzle me a bit - in the sense of how to
do it with PROJ?

Probably not possible; the PROJ file "epsg" tells me for instance:
# Petrels 1972 / Terre Adelie Polar Stereographic
# Unable to translate coordinate system into PROJ.4 format.

Formulae and numerical examples can be found in the EPSG/OGP Guidance Note
7-2.