[Proj] Re: Newbie Polar stereographic question

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Thu Jul 13 12:46:05 EDT 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 11:23 am, Oscar van Vlijmen wrote:
> I wonder, can all 3 variants of the EPSG (OGP) stereographic projections be
> calculated with (lib)proj's stere?

+proj=stere is probably OK for most polar aspects.  However, most non-US
oblique stereographic projections probably use +proj=sterea.  I am not sure
about equitorial needs as the problem does not seem to come up very often.

BTW, my previous statement about the projection ray trace is not true for the
oblique, elliptical stereographic because the normal to the projection plane
at the point of tangency to the *ellipse* does *not* pass through the center
of the earth.  It only passes through the center for all cases of the sphere
and only the polar and equitorial cases of the ellipsoid.

--
Jerry and the low-riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum"