[Proj] Re: [webmap-discuss] Client side coordinate transformation library - Call to developers/testers

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 15:33:04 EDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Aaron Koning <aaronkoning at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A while ago I created a client side coordinate transformation library called
> GCTP-JS (Open Source, GPL licence). More accurately, I ported files directly
> from the General Cartographic Transformation System (GCTP) C-code to
> JavaScript.
>      http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
>
> Simple example application:
>      http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/examples.php
>
> Implemented easily and successfully in the Flexible Internet Spatial
> Template (FIST) web mapping application:
>      http://fist-mapping.org
>
> Currently the 'port' is not complete (UTM, Albers, and Lambert projection
> files have been ported). What I would like to see is a complete port of the
> GCTP to JavaScript. Porting each projection file takes a few hours to a few
> days depending on experience level (pretty quick I think). Then the
> projection file must be tested, which is best done by someone who uses that
> particular projection often.
>
> The best reasons to get involved are:
>      - porting and testing can be done file by file;
>      - porting a file doesn't take very long;
>      - only work on the projections you want or the whole library;
>       - very little planning is needed since it is a straightforward porting
> exercise;
>      - there is a definite and achievable end goal!
>
> Therefore, I would like all interested parties to contact me at the address
> below and start porting and testing projection files as soon as possible. I
> am eager to get going and help make this a success!
>      aaronkoning at gmail.com
>
>  The GCTP C-code can be downloaded at:
>
> http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub//software/gctpc/gctpc_src.tar
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Aaron
>
> +--------------------------------------------
> |  Aaron Koning
> |  Information Technologist
> |  Prince George, BC, Canada.
> +--------------------------------------------
> |   http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/fist/
> |   http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
> +--------------------------------------------

Aaron,

We must be on the same wavelength! Just yesterday I sent an eamil to a
couple lists regarding the work that I have been doing toward porting
the Proj.4 cs2cs program to Javascript.

I went with Proj.4 over GCTP primarily because Proj.4 has support for
datum transformations. Is the GCTP license Open Source?

Would you be interested in combining our projects?

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com