[Proj] Re: Using Azimuthal Equidistant for Great/Small Circle Generation

Strebe at aol.com Strebe at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 15:19:42 EST 2006

This is a perfectly reasonable procedure. A circle centered at the center of
an azimuthal equidistant is a path whose points are all the same distance from
that center. That is the definition of small circle. It will also work on the
ellipsoid, assuming the ellipsoidal form of the azimuthal equidistant is
properly modelled -- which is not easy. I can't speak for the proj implementation.

There is no need to use the two-hemisphere form. A full-earth azimuthal
equidistant still has the same properties.

Regards,

daan Strebe
Geocart author
http://www.mapthematics.com