[Proj] Re: Re: Proj4 Bug (rtodms)

Eric Miller EMiller at dfg.ca.gov
Thu Nov 9 20:00:15 EST 2006

>>> On 11/9/2006 at 2:58 PM "Gerald I. Evenden"  wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 4:44 pm, Glynn Clements wrote:
>> > I am still suspicious of the setting of the FPU's rounding flag.
>> >
>> > This does raise in my mind: what should the default state of the
rounding
>> > flag be?
>>
>> Appendix F of the C99 standard requires round-to-nearest during
>> translation (F.7.2) and at program startup (F.7.3). However, the
>> standard doesn't require an implementation to conform to appendix F
>> unless it indicates conformance by defining the macro
>> __STDC_IEC_559__.
>
> I gave up getting the standards years ago as they were getting to
damn
> expensive so I rely on Harbison & Steele, v.5.  But I am glad to see
that
> there is a (tentative) default setting.

Copies of the last drafts of C99 are available at
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/standards.  ANSI only
wants $289 for ISO/IEC 9899:1999.  What a bargain!  But, hey, the
Technical Corrigendums are free!

In any case, Microsoft, for one, has no intention of implementing C99.
Apparently their "customers" aren't asking for it.  At least, that's the
company line.  They don't encourage people to use C anymore anyway.  I
guess if you want to use C99 features you'll just have to use a
different compiler and C runtime library.

--

Eric G. Miller
Staff Programmer