[Proj] PROJ 4.5.0 beta4

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Oct 18 10:17:48 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I built the epsg file from the EPSG 6.11.1 Postgres SQL dump.  I have
> scanned the raw SQL for this and there does not seem to be any projected
> coordinate system definition for 2172-2175 even though some of the
> underlying
> coordinate operations do seem to exist (eg. epsg_coordoperation includes
> record id 18282 for Poland Zone II).

> I think this is either an error upstream in the EPSG database or a
> deliberate policy decision on their part.

I doubt the latter. They very very hesitate to remove anything.
Especially that I can see no reason for removing any of these.
Definitions 2172-2175 are all OK, and still these systems are widely
used in Poland. Propably some error on EPSG side.

> For the most part I try to have the epsg file reflect the original EPSG database as closely as possible, so I'd encourage
> you to take this up with the folks maintaining the EPSG database.

Will do.

> I do notice they have marked 2171 (Pulkovo 1942(58) / Poland zone I)
as deprecated.

They did that at my request, cause there was a huge error in false
northing (5647000 instead of 5467000). The correct code for Polish
Uklad 65 zone I is now 3120. I asked EPSG just to correct this within
the 2171, but they said they never do that and that they prefer to
deprecate the invalid code and create a brand new one instead (that's
why I suppose they wouldn't be keen on removing 2172-2175 alltogether
either).

> In the meantime, I'll hack these definitions into the EPSG PROJ.4
> definition file for the 4.5.0 release.

This will be highly appreciated. Thanks in the name of Polish PROJ4 users!

>  But they will be lost next time it is regenerated.

I hope EPSG will correct this issue. I'll keep you posted.

Maciek