[Proj] Projection file --> proj string

Jim Mace jmace at benchmarkrs.com
Sat Apr 14 18:23:54 EDT 2007

I'm trying to convert a shapefile using ogr2ogr that is in Albers, and comes
with the following projection file contents.

Projection    ALBERS

Zunits        NO

Units         METERS

Spheroid      CLARKE1866

Xshift        0.0000000000

Yshift        0.0000000000

Parameters

 46  0  0.000 /* 1st standard parallel

 48  0  0.000 /* 2nd standard parallel

-109 30  0.000 /* central meridian

 44 15  0.000 /* latitude of projection's origin

600000.00000 /* false easting (meters)
0.00000 /* false northing (meters)

I am new at the whole proj thing, but I figured out how the utility works
with proj strings, but when I convert this to WGS84 it puts the geometries
in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

For the source SRS I am using:
+proj=aea +lat_1=29.5 +lat_2=45.5 +lat_0=23 +lon_0=-96 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0.0
+ellps=GRS80 +units=m +datum=NAD83 +no_defs

For my destination SRS I am using:
+proj=latlong +datum=WGS84 +no_defs

How would I convert my source SRS string to use the information from the
projection file?  Or, is their way that I can just pass in the projection
file name or something?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

It has removed 12122 spam emails to date.