[Proj] Converting to SRS:4326

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 17 10:36:23 EDT 2007

Bradley Mclain wrote:
> What I am trying to do is get the extent of my data which is on
> SRS:28355 and convert it too SRS:4326 so my map will display correctly.
>
> I used the command
>
> proj +proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 <geogdata.txt >results.txt
>
> but it returned
>
> +proj=latlong unsuitable for use with proj program

Bradley,

With the proj command transformation is always implicitly between a
projected coordinate system and the corresponding geographic coordinate
system.

So you could do:

   proj -I +init=epsg:28355

to translate from EPSG:28355 coordinates to GDA_1994 coordinates (essentially
WGS84 as I understand it).  (Note the -I, to invert the normal lat/long to
projected transformation)

If you want to more explicitly control things, use cs2cs.

eg.
cs2cs +init=epsg:28355 +to +proj=latlong +datum=WGS84