[Proj] Converting to SRS:4326

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 17 22:49:01 EDT 2007

Bradley Mclain wrote:
> I am having some slight problems with what you are saying, firstly If I use
>
> proj -I +init=epsg:28355
>
> I get a long list of different projections but no new numbers or anything.

Bradley,

I don't know this is.  When I use that commandline I get the usual
wait-for-input state, and no output till I enter values.

> Also secondly I am not exactly sure what input values I have to put it.
> Is it my current extent or is it the longitude latitude values which
> match this?
>
> What I want to get out is the correct extent for my map in EPSG:4326.
>
> Its current extent using EPSG:28355 is 301964.225304 6172911.602455
> 439497.461276 6230476.242273
>
> With latitude and longitude 146.123 -34.2918 146.152 -34.2685

The proj command reprojects points, not rectangles.  You can get
a rough idea by reprojecting two corners, or a better representation
by reprojecting all four corners.  For instance if I do the following

warmerda at amd64[49]% proj -I +init=epsg:28355 << EOF
? 301964.225304 6172911.602455
? 439497.461276 6230476.242273
? EOF

I get: