[Proj] PROJ.4 and latest EPSG (v 6.12)?

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Fri Mar 9 08:02:25 EST 2007

> From: Frank Warmerdam
> Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:44:59 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Proj] PROJ.4 and latest EPSG (v 6.12)?
>
> John Maurer wrote:
>> Dear PROJ.4,
>> The latest EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset was released as version 6.12
>> on February 8, 2007: http://www.epsg.org/Geodetic.html. There are
>> several new polar projections that I would like to support in my "Atlas
>> of the Cryosphere" MapServer application (http://nsidc.org/data/atlas)
>> but need the updated EPSG file for PROJ.4 and MapServer to find them.
>> Examples of some of these new EPSG codes include 19865 to 19869. It
>> appears that the latest version of PROJ.4 (4.5.0) does not contain these
>> new EPSG codes, and I was wondering when these might get incorporated or
>> how I might add their PROJ.4 definitions to our epsg file? Thanks for
>> your help!
>
> John,
>
> I'm afraid there is no dependable pattern to when I'll get around to
> upgrading PROJ/libgeotiff/GDAL/PostGIS to a new EPSG release.  You can
> manually add them to your local epsg init file in the meantime.
>
> I would hope to have issue a new release with up to date EPSG files
> within 3 months, but no guarantees.

This is not gonna be easy.
The projections in question are:
* 9829  Polar Stereographic (variant B)
* 9821  Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area (Spherical)
* 9834  Lambert Cylindrical Equal Area (Spherical)

Polar Stereographic Variant B is currently supported by the EPSG conversion
scripts mr. Warmerdam uses.

The other two projections are perhaps somewhat problematic.
The EPSG coordoperationmethod codes 9821, 9834 mentioned above are supported
by PROJ, but the EPSG coord_op_code numbers 19867...9 mr. Maurer refers to
are modified projections for the EASE-Grid. If you don't need grid row &
column numbers, then probably the parameter values mentioned in the EPSG
database can be used.
See:
<http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/globalgrids-book/ease_grid/>