[Proj] WGS84 to ED50

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Mon Nov 19 17:43:39 EST 2007

I have been reading this thread with some amusement, as datum shifts are only a compromise to begin with, and attempting to achieve better than 1-2 meters with even a 7-parameter transformation is a totally unreasonable expectation.  The original data for the classical datum is not that good!

Matching another transformation is a reasonable expectation, but it could be (likely), that the "client" is attempting to match actual observations with Trimble/Applanix gear working directly in WGS84 rather than a Trimble/Applanix algorithm!  European Datum 50 (ED50) was "cooked up" in 1950 by Geodesists at the U.S. Army Map Service after WWII using geodetic surveys of Spain and Portugal performed over the prior 50-75 years!  That stuff wasn't that good!

Try reading my columns on the Grids and Datums of Spain and Portugal at:  www.ASPRS.org/GRIDS  and you'll get a better appreciation of the complexity of the problem being sought with a mere 7-parameter transformation.  (Spain is July, 2000, and Portugal is April, 2002)

Combining Applanix and Trimble gear is cutting-edge geodetic equipment commonly used for Real Time Kinneatic (RTK) Aerial Photography for hair-splitting accuracy.  That stuff is working directly in WGS84 Broadcast Ephemeris and is then re-adjusted in post-processed mode with the Precise Ephemeris a couple weeks later.

That's NOT going to "match" data that's 75-100 years old!

PROJ4 is a cartographic tool and is not a geodetic panacea.

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
LSU Student ASCE Chapter Faculty Advisor
and
National Director (2006-2008),
Photogrammetric Applications Division
American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
and
Chief of Geodesy,
CENTER FOR GEOINFORMATICS
Department of Civil Engineering
CEBA 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
                         Home:  (225) 819-0939
                            Cell:   (225) 236-2327
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4474 [Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Member Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group
http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/ <https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://email.lsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/>