[Proj] WGS84 to ED50

Dean C.Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at terraetl.com
Mon Nov 19 19:26:28 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Clifford is right....this is an interesting thread.

Let me provide some documentation and some web-sites that
may be able to aid in what you are trying to do.

ED50, and especially in Spain, parts of France, etc. is
not fully defined in transformations between ED50 and
WGS80 or ETRS.

The Spanish Gov't has various methods depending on regions
(such as Catalin, Valencia, etc.) - so you can not apply
one method of transformation over a region.

The Gov't worked on REGENTE to be able to transform
between ED50 and ETRS. Which from my reading (it is in
Spanish) is based on the NTv2 grid type files. This method
will provide a higher accuracy in your transformation -
but there will still be errors.

To compare co-ordinates using REGENTE between ED50 and
ETRS, please see the following link:

http://www.ign.es/ign/es/IGN/calculadora_geodesica.jsp

You want to use option: ED50-ETRS89

For the reverse, use option ETRS89-ED50

For information on REGENTE the following are two good
documents:

http://www.gfy.ku.dk/~iag/Spain_Sapporo_2003.pdf

The above was presented at the IUGG in Sapporo Japan in
2003.

The following is a summary of methods used in transforming
between ED50 and ETRS.

http://www.euref-iag.net/symposia/book2003/4-6.pdf

It is an interesting read.

Datum transformations are not simple. In many cases, the
old networks were a series of triangulation networks tied
together, yet each of these surveys were done at different
accuracies and different times. Often over many years over
a large area - take the Indian subcontinent for example.

I will do some more research and see what tools, both
provided by the Spanish Gov't (often it is just a simple
request for files in a specific format - such as in South
Africa - for files in NTv2), or by contacting local
agencies and companies.

I hope the above information clears up some questions
about the problems of assuming something as simple as
7-parameter transformation for such a large area.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,
Dean