AW: [Proj] DHDN / Gauss Krueger to WGS84

uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de
Fri Sep 21 02:22:47 EDT 2007

Oliver,

> Oliver Eichler wrote:
> >> This may or may not be the best datum shift parameters for
> your area of
> >> work.  You may need to research a better local shift.
> >>
> > Does that mean that the shift parameters depend on the
> location within
> > the map? Or that the whole map might have some kind of bad offset
> > produced by a bad projection?
> >
> > And how would I get better shift parameters? Is there a
> tutorial somewhere?
>
> Oliver,
>
> The 3/7 parameter +towgs84 parameters are just used for an approximate
> transformation between datums. Sometimes, especially for old
> datums, the
> differences are quite irregular over the area of the datum
> and are not well
> represented by a simple transformation.
>
> So, you will often see datums having various towgs84
> parameters, some which
> might be a decent general transformation over a large area
> and others which
> might be a more accurate transformation in a fairly local area of the
> datum.
>
> Ugly, isn't it?
>
> No, there is no obvious way to get better parameters other
> than researching
> various source (ie. national mapping agencies, other
> publications, ask other
> users in your region).

please take a look at
http://crs.bkg.bund.de/crseu/crs/descrtrans/BeTA/de_dhdn2etrs_beta.php

There you will find information about a "standard" solution
for your problem. The documentation gives a brief example
for using PROJ.4. (I think, the german language isn't a problem
for you :-)).

If you have any problems, please let me know.

Best wishes
Uwe
... Uwe Schmitz  Landesvermessungsamt Nordrhein-Westfalen
... Muffendorfer Str. 19 - 21              D - 53177 Bonn
... E-mail:       uwe.schmitzNO at SPAMlverma.nrw.de
... Internet:     http://www.lverma.nrw.de