[Proj] Re: Proj Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2 - axis rotation issue

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Wed Aug 13 13:50:28 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald I. Evenden" <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com>
To: "Neil Robinson" <halfhaggis at gmail.com>; "PROJ.4 and general Projections
Discussions" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Proj] Re: Proj Digest, Vol 51, Issue 2 - axis rotation issue

> As to whether an axis rotation option is libproj4's responsibility or the
> applications program's (proj4, lproj, etc.) responsibility and thus a "-"
> option or "+" option respectively is now open for debate.
>
> Any comments from the maptools group?

I have always wondered, why can the lcc projection have a westo flag for a
west orientation, but why can't tmerc have a south orientation?

The LCC West orientation is used for some rather old Greenland projections,
whereas the tmerc South orientation is used today with respect to the
South-African Hartebeesthoek datum.

Oscar van Vlijmen