[Proj] WGS84 to Sphere Inconsistency Between Proj Versions

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Aug 25 11:26:32 EDT 2008

Dear Mr. Mugnier,
you wrote

>When diddling with spherical projections, the concept of "DATUM" is entirely inappropriate.

which made me quite confused, because

1) I think what you wrote is absurd, and
2) I know well that you are an expert in geodesy.

But Hillel said, "the shamefast is not apt to learn", so let me go on.

I suppose you require more properties of a geodetic datum than I care about.
For me, a geodetic datum is essentially a way to georeference a map (or at least
to georeference the graticule on the map.)  Surely you are not saying that if a map
uses a spherical projection, then its graticule cannot be georeferenced.

I have also been wondering why the EPSG people, when describing the web Mercator,
are careful to say that the geodetic datum is not WGS84 but something spherical
that is not a true datum.

As I see it, the projection machinery has to treat the earth as a sphere, while the
datum shift machinery has to treat it as an ellipsoid.  And why not?  In Carmenta Engine,
the Mercator class has a switch that lets you choose between ellipsoidal and spherical
formulas.  So the projection can ignore the flattening of the ellipsoid, but the datum shift
machinery will not.

Are you (and EPSG) reasoning like this:
      (1.) all projections must be implemented by ellipsoidal formulas, so
      (2.) the only way to emulate spherical formulas is to supply an earth
             model that is a sphere from the beginning; and no proper datum
             can be spherical.
?
If so, then I agree that (2) follows from (1), and I agree that proper datums should
not be spherical.  But I do not agree that (1) is true.

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Box 11354
SE-404 28 Göteborg