[Proj] What about datum shift via direct projection?

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:56:45 EST 2008

In Portugal we had a situation of that kind. There was an old datum (Datum
Lisboa) for which we had a local Transverse Mercator projection. A
reobservation of the triangulation resulted in a new datum (Datum 73) that
intended to replace the old one. It was decided to do a new projection,
keeping the same central point, but applying a small false easting and
northing (aprox. 180.6 m, -87.0 m) in order to create similar coordinates.
The average of absolute differences between old and new coordinates are
smaller than 2 meters and maximum difference is  5 meters.

Although this might have some advantages,  it resulted in many situations of
confusion. Around 1990 many people started GIS projects, but were not much
aware of map projections, and even less of geodetic datum concepts. Some
institutions adopted the new system but some kept the old one. Many times
old and new coordinates were simply mixed, losing information about their
origin. This results in serious problems in large scale mapping.
Now, in the transition to ETRS89 datum, the Portuguese Geographic Institute
decided to keep the TM projection and adjusted the central point (instead of
applying the small false easting/northing) in order to create a very similar
grid. The transition to a new similar system must be made carefully, always
keeping metadata about reference systems and defining rigorous
transformation methods.

Jose' A. Gonçalves
University of Porto - Science Faculty