[Proj] What about datum shift via direct projection?

ndzinn at comcast.net ndzinn at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 15:53:24 EST 2008

Mikael,

Thanks for these references on direct projection.   Weird, yes, in the sense of unusual, but clever and useful for the reasons stated by the authors.

Regarding the least-squares adjustment for the new CM, scale on CM and false coordinates, linearization of the TM algorithm by Taylor expansion must be exceptionally ugly, but this can be simply accomplished numerically to achieve the same results.

Regarding your questions:

·          It's clever.

·          Apparently used in Australia by Featherstone (cited by the authors).

·          No geographic ambiguity implied in my opinion.   You'll notice the ellipsoid has also changed along with the new parameters already mentioned, an obvious requirement to reduce the residuals of the adjustment.

·          What the authors have conjured is a TM on WGS84 that emulates a TM on Bessel (RT90) point by point within acceptable error limits.   But this is just an approximation, as is a 7-parameter similarity transformation for that matter.   The only definitive transformation is that achieved by a readjustment of available survey data (lots of trilateration in Sweden apparently) with a new ellipsoidal model.   Only that will achieve the least sum of residuals squared.   Geographicals in 3D are closer to reality than anything we do in the plane.

Again, thanks,

Noel