[Proj] Geo Transfoms and calculations

Charles Wilson proj at cwilson.fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 30 14:37:37 EST 2008

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> I use MIT which is apparently tolerated by GSL but I don't want to get into
> that can of ugly  worms.  Besides, I do not have the libm source anyway.
> Kinda brings up a point: isn't gcc and library under GSL

I assume you meant "GPL" here.

> so that nobody can
> distribute a binary that uses the library without the associated BS?

Actually, the runtime libraries from gcc are NOT under the GPL, exactly.
They are distributed under the GPL with "runtime exception":

For instance (libgcc):

In addition to the permissions in the GNU General Public License, the
Free Software Foundation gives you unlimited permission to link the
compiled version of this file into combinations with other programs,
and to distribute those combinations without any restriction coming
from the use of this file.  (The General Public License restrictions
do apply in other respects; for example, they cover modification of
the file, and distribution when not linked into a combine
executable.)

For instance (g++ STL headers):

As a special exception, you may use this file as part of a free software
library without restriction.  Specifically, if other files instantiate
templates or use macros or inline functions from this file, or you
compile this file and link it with other files to produce an executable,
this file does not by itself cause the resulting executable to be
covered by the GNU General Public License.  This exception does not
however invalidate any other reasons why the executable file might be
covered by the GNU General Public License.

--
Chuck