[Proj] Geo Transfoms and calculations

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:15:54 EST 2008

I will not argue with what you have said but lets look at it from my
perspective:

1.  I can sit here in my cozy den and hack away and use all sorts of software
out there that is free for the download.  I am very fat and happy and get
along just fine.

2.  Also remember that this is an advocational activity and I do not have any
monetary involvement.  My main expense is the hardware I occasionally update
and the electric power used and maybe the occasional book or library trip.

3.  After a fun period of hacking I come up with something that may be of
interest to others.  In the good 'ol days this used to be simple: just put a
note out on usenet or a bulletin board and pass out floppies.  No hassle.

4.  Now I need to put disclaimers, ... blah, blah, ... and get the feeling
that I need to put an attorney on retainer.  And occassionally get dumped
upon by others if I make a choice of using someone else's "free" software
that apparently upsets the potential users of my software legal apple cart.

5.  What's a poor jerk like me supposed to do?  For example, on the geodetic
program I am currently finishing up I want to put 'readline' on the front end
for obvious reasons; BUT wait, that uses GPL.  Arrgh!  I can hear the
bitching and moaning now.  At the moment I have a simple procedure
called 'readline' as a substitute but gee, is the name possible copyrighted
too?

That is why I get cranky about the whole issue.