[Proj] Re: Distance measured in Mercator projection

Shannon Scott sscott at locationinc.com
Thu Jul 10 07:02:14 EDT 2008

Thank you all for your comments.
1m / cos (phi) was the formula I was looking for.

We have an application that maps data based on a search radius ( ie 5
miles around Chicago ).
The maps show the search radius. We had been using UTM for the maps, so
I was able to plot the search radius with this piece of code:
<snip>
// convert miles to meters
bufdist = (miles * 1609.344);

// create circle
for (double i=0;i<360;i+=5) {
deltax = (Math.cos(i) * bufdist);
deltay = (Math.sin(i) * bufdist);
pntx = (centerPntx + deltax);
pnty = (centerPnty + deltay);
// plot point
}
</snip>

The maps have been converted to work as a google map overlay, so we need
to use the Mercator projection.
I have modified the way the search radius is calculated:
<snip>
// convert miles to meters
bufdist = (miles * (Math.abs(1609.344 * (1/Math.cos(latrad)))));
</snip>

and everything looks good.
Thanks again.
Shannon