[Proj] Re: Distance measured in Mercator projection

Ed McNierney ed at mcnierney.com
Thu Jul 10 09:42:55 EDT 2008

Shannon -

Thanks for the info and update.  I am often found on a soapbox bemoaning the way that Google is persuading many folks to build bad maps, and in some cases to take maps working well and make them work less well, but I'll stay off that soapbox today ;-)

If your application is primarily interested in circles and distances on the order of 5 miles or so (or even 50 miles) then the errors in your Mercator distance measurement are unlikely to be of much importance to you.  At the latitude of Chicago, the scale factor at a point 50 miles further north or south (that is, about a degree of latitude north or south of 42 degrees North) is less than 2% different than the scale factor at the center point.  It sounds like you're not trying to do high-precision measurement so that's probably just fine but you should be aware that going to greater distances (or moving much further North) will increase the error.

    - Ed

Ed McNierney
205 Indian Hill Road
Groton, MA  01450