[Proj] RE: Proj Digest, Vol 50, Issue 19

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Sat Jul 19 16:43:22 EDT 2008

I was being a bit loose when I used the word "minimize". I should have just said "reduce". True, actually minimizing the greatest scale variation in a region would be a much more complicated problem than I intended to tackle.

My reasoning was merely this: If Aitoff and Hammer-Aitoff have an oval pattern for their lines of equal scale variation, and if scale variation is reduced when those curves are figures whose dimensions are in a ratio resembling that of the the region's dimensions, then Aitoff could reduce the scale variation compared to what it would be with an unmodified azimuthal equidistant.

Scale variation of meridian multiplying maps is a kind of scale variation problem that I haven't looked at yet, and so I admit that I don't know how well it would do.

Mike Ossipoff