[Proj] Re: Transverse or oblique adjusted-width Aitoff or Hammer-Aitoff for oblong regions

strebe strebe at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 21:49:22 EDT 2008

Mr. Ossipoff:

>if scale variation is reduced when those curves are figures whose dimensions
>are in a ratio resembling that of the the region's dimensions,

For conformal maps the same was conjectured in 1856 by Tshebyshev [1] and proved by Gravé [2] in 1896. Snyder hypothesized the same for equal-area maps [3], but I have proved by counter-example (Wiechel compared to Lambert azimuthal) that the condition is insufficient for equal-area maps, and therefore, by inference, all other maps that are not conformal. It is possible the condition is necessary but insufficient; however, I also have evidence that even that is not true, at least not in all cases. (E.g., a band straddling the equator from edge to edge on a cylindric equal-area projection has considerably better distortion characteristics than any equal-area projection with a closed isocol approximating the same region.)

Where does this leave you? You could take measurements of any improvements in some specific metric of distortion across a broad range of examples. If the technique does, in fact, result in quantifiable improvement in all cases, then you could credibly recommend the technique.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe

[*1] Chebyshev, P.L. 1856. “Sur la Construction des Carte Géographiques.” Bulletin, Académie Impériale des Sciences, Classe Physico-Mathématique, vol. 14, pp. 257–261. St. Petersburg. Reprinted in Oeuvres des P.L. Tchebychef, vol. 1. New York: Chelsea Publishing Co., 1962.

[*2] Gravé, D.A. 1896. Ob Osnovnykh Zadachakh Matematicheskoyh Teorii Postroyeniya Geograficheskikh Kart, pp. 177–183. St. Petersburg.

[*3] Snyder, J.P. 1988. “New Equal-Area Map Projections For Noncircular Regions.” The American Cartographer, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 341–355.