[Proj] Re: Transverse or oblique width-adjusted Aitoff or Hammer-Aitoff for oblong regions

strebe strebe at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 23:51:01 EDT 2008

Mr. Ossipoff:

If the oblong region is on the order of 180° of extent, a meridian-multiplied Aitoff may well perform better than a cylindric equidistant. I would expect the benefit to decrease as the extent increased, eventually turning worse. This is just a (reasonably well-educated) guess. With the assistance of symbolic math programs (Mathematica, Maple, &c.), it should not be terribly difficult to derive closed-form expresssions for scale variation around a given point on the transverse Aitoff, being the simple projection that it is. Cylindric equidistant being even simpler, the comparison would not be so onerous, either. That would answer the question of transverse Aitoff versus cylindric equidistant.

A much more difficult problem is to show that you have come anywhere near some theoretical "best" for the region, or even to show that it is better than a wide selection of possible alternatives. The latter, at least, would be important in establishing a robust claim of improvement.

Your musing over how atlases choose projections might be a little kind.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe