[Proj] RE: Proj Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Wed Jul 23 19:19:46 EDT 2008

Sometimes a problem of an unaccustomed form shows someone that they didn't understand the fundamental principles as well as they thought they did. Of course I haven't made any claims about myself, and it's a good thing I didn't. I'm here as an interested member of the public. Now, this will probably really show my ignorance, but my un-verified intuitive impression now is that, when mapping, say, Tennessee or Kansas, in comparison to azimuthal equidistant, oblique width-adjusted Aitoff, even if it has less average scale variation, wouldn't have less maximum scale variation than azimuthal equidistant. Any comments on how the maximum scale variation of azimuthal equidistant, oblique cylindrical equidistant, and oblique width-adjusted Aitoff would be likely to compare when mapping Kansas or Tennessee?

Mike Ossipoff