[SOLVED! [Proj] Re: Problem overlaying georeferenced images in Google, Maps(projection problem!)]

Jorge jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 06:07:29 EDT 2008

Ok' I've solved the problem!!

One important thing that I hadn't considered was that Google Maps
changes the meters-per-pixel ratio not only when you change the zoom
level, but also with the latitude. If you move the map upper or lower
(in vertical direction), this ratio changes.

I think that there is a good reason for this: Mercator projection
"stretchs" the shapes near to poles (North and South), and maybe google
wants to minimize the effect by  changing the meter-per-pixel ratio

I was considering that this ratio remained constant for each zoom level.
Now, I calculate it with this formula:

m/px = cos(latitud) * ( 1 / 2^(zoom+8) ) * 40075017

That I got from http://slappy.cs.uiuc.edu/fall06/cs492/Group2/example.html

And now... it works!! I realize that when I was checking the coordinates...

Thanks a lot, anyway. You' ve helped me!